Things to do in 10-15 minutes
Many of us know we should take breaks throughout the day, but we often don’t. We may find it difficult because of work or caring for others. Even 10-15 minutes is enough to reduce stress. Let’s commit to taking 10-15 minutes today to do something for ourselves. Here are some ideas to get started:
- Get outside. Take a nature walk or city hike. Remember to wear a mask and stay 6 feet from others.
- Take a dance break!
- Write three things you are grateful for today.
- Giving back to others can help you too. Take a look at volunteer opportunities that interest you through a site such as VolunteerMatch.
- Take a break from the news today… watch or listen to something fun.
- Wash your face or rinse your hands in cool water to reduce tension and calm nerves.
- Check in with a friend, family member or neighbor. Talk by phone, video chat or visit in person while maintaining proper distance and wearing masks.
- Close your eyes, take deep breaths, stretch or meditate.
- Laugh! Think of someone who makes you laugh or the last time you laughed so hard you cried.
- Channel your energy into a quick cleaning of your home. Things to do in 10-15 minutes #HowRightNow HowRightNow.org
- Exercise. Lift weights. Do push-ups or sit-ups. Kick around a soccer ball.
- Make and enjoy a cup of tea and relax in a comfortable place.
- Consider a new hobby, such as playing a musical instrument, gardening, trying a new recipe, working on a crossword puzzle or knitting.
- Connect with your faith through prayer or reach out to a member of your faith community.
- If you’ve been feeling overwhelmed with stress, anxiety, sadness or depressed mood, use this time to make an appointment with a counselor.
- Check in with yourself—take time to ask yourself how you are feeling.
- Curl up with a book or magazine in a comfortable place.
- Practice relaxation exercises or yoga.
- Find an inspiring song or quote and write it down (or screenshot it) so you have it nearby.
- See how others are taking 10-15 minutes to care for themselves:
Explore all of the resources on How Right Now by visiting the Resource Library.